lizjensen001

abe

DIC

kolektor

Most Viewed Topics
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
United States Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
What is the fair value of the 1828 manila 8 Reales in PCGS XF40
BNSP Auction
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Philippine Gold Coins
Bayanihan Collectors club Auction May 30, 2010
el banco español filipino de isabel II (1852, 1865)
Poll
Most active topics
United States Coins
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Cleaning coins / bank notes
Auction Results
PHILIPPINES CURRENCY?
What is the fair value of the 1828 manila 8 Reales in PCGS XF40
Most active topic starters
al.plata

filipinonumismatist

josie

lizjensen001

Kalookan

nic

abe

DIC

Rudi Smits

edbsbc78

Share | 

keeping things interesting

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ericgo

PostSubject: keeping things interesting   Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:44 pm

how do some of you keep your interest in the hobby?

I feel i've experienced a "coin collecting burnout" or something and am pretty much just bored with the hobby at the moment. Has anyone experienced something like this before? and if you have, what did you do to get past it? thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
al.plata

PostSubject: keeping things interesting   Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:39 pm

yes, sir eric, i just remember it.. a few years back when i was collecting only the big and small uspi peso coins.. and after awhile it got so boring specially after no one knew about my hobby except me.. there were about a hundred of those peso coins and a few of other things.. then when i retired from work, i started looking in the internet and attending auctions, and when i saw that there are more beautiful coins out there, it brightened up my interest again.. now my target is to replace my ugly coins with prettier ones..
Back to top Go down
Bantayan

PostSubject: Re: keeping things interesting   Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:50 pm

Hello ericgo

i belive thats part on how you colect your coins Are you the guy who just buy them on auctions or are you an investor in silver and gold coins.

I love to read old stories from coin collectors 40-50 years ago and their problems. Its interestring and you get mostly some more information about old coins and why they are rare.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bantayan-island.net/
ericgo

PostSubject: Re: keeping things interesting   Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:02 pm

i actually tried to keep my interest in the hobby the last couple of months by looking for a variety of coins to collect. i bought a few from auctions and i invest in gold and silver coins as well. Im guessing with al's post though that all of us go through this sort of phase
Back to top Go down
al.plata

PostSubject: keeping things interesting   Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:50 am

to all collectors: try to attend all auctions and find friends, you may just look at other coins without buying them and compare it with your holdings, you will find some better and some lesser (in appearance and value).. for me, what keeps me interested is the hard luck i encounter most of the time.. for example.. i was praying that we have an auction every month but it seems that when the auction happens, either i am busy or i do not have any extra money.. this will keep me interested for a long time.. ha ha..
Back to top Go down
lizjensen001

PostSubject: Re: keeping things interesting   Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:58 am

hi eRIC! what you are going thru is perfectly normal... i just started collecting early this year, from too much excitement, i completed my first set of collection in just 2 months (Philippine commemorative coins)... i got bored after that... i would usually get advices from the seniors not to rush... but what happened in my case, even if the items were a lot expensive than the usual price, i was willing to buy it just to complete my collection asap... my fault was i didnt listen, all i wanted was to complete it asap... anyway, what kept me interesting was looking around ebay and other coins site and constantly attending the auctions (when i can)... i see new coins that interests me, the problem is that the more you see, the more you want to collect again.. but this time, ive learned my lesson, im not in a hurry...

example... im into 20 reales isabel now, im into completing 20 reales having all dates and mint marks (exept barcelona ofcourse!)... i was able to buy some from dealers (fair price)... i won 1 in the last auction (lucky me!) however, i had to let go of about 3 of them at the auction because the price was just too much already in my opinion... so now, im currently "hunting" to complete my collection again...... just imagine if i completed this collection in a month! i would suddenly lose interest again... so i think the lesson is to take it slow Smile
Back to top Go down
Market! Market!

PostSubject: Re: keeping things interesting   Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:46 pm

^

Me I have no choice but to take it slow.
Still paying debt for my last purchase. hahaha Laughing

How do I keep interested in the hobby?
I just look at my banknotes collection. They're so pretty. Very Happy
It inspires me to buy those that I don't have yet so they too can be displayed in my album.
Back to top Go down
ericgo

PostSubject: Re: keeping things interesting   Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:57 pm

i think i see the problem.. i am more into "coin collecting" as an investment rather than as a hobby. so i really do not go for collecting sets based on different mint marks or dates. Also, that is most likely the reason i don't like banknotes or any coins not made of precious metals
Back to top Go down
edbsbc78

PostSubject: Re: keeping things interesting   Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:42 pm

It is what you call the Thrill of the Hunt!

As most collectors narrow their field of interest in a certain category of collecting, I guess if you have "amass" the must-have items, you would definitely loose a certain degree of interest. As i see it and as observed, the more financial resource an individual allot to the hobby, the faster you acquire the things u want,.Though i'd love to experience burn out due to this scenario... Laughing

As for me it is in forum such as this that keeps my interest elevated, as i learn from you guy about the joy/thrill/challenge and frustrations of Coin collecting.

Enjoy!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: keeping things interesting   

Back to top Go down

keeping things interesting
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1