lizjensen001

abe

DIC

kolektor

Most Viewed Topics
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
United States Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
What is the fair value of the 1828 manila 8 Reales in PCGS XF40
Philippine Gold Coins
BNSP Auction
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Bayanihan Collectors club Auction May 30, 2010
el banco español filipino de isabel II (1852, 1865)
Poll
Most active topics
United States Coins
Philippine Future Bullion Coins
Quiapo Coin Prices
Dos Mundos/ 8 Reales Columnario real/fake?
Philippine Gold Coins
How rare is this coin? and value please..
Cleaning coins / bank notes
Auction Results
PHILIPPINES CURRENCY?
What is the fair value of the 1828 manila 8 Reales in PCGS XF40
Most active topic starters
al.plata

filipinonumismatist

josie

lizjensen001

Kalookan

nic

abe

DIC

Rudi Smits

edbsbc78

Share | 

Questions and Answers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
al.plata

PostSubject: Questions and Answers   Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:03 am

To all "new" and "old" coin collectors, kindly share your knowledge and answer the questions posted herein. Do not hesitate to ask questions. Life is one big learning experience and some valuable experiences must be shared. This site is a good thing for all of us. We must always support all coin collectors until, we reach the ideal situation like that in other countries. For example in the USA, they have a hundred Coin Collector groups and they coexist without any problems and even helps one another for the benefit of all concerned.
Back to top Go down
al.plata

PostSubject: Questions and Answers   Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:52 pm

For all readers... Why do you think that the Coin Collecting Hobby is declining?
When I read an item re "decline of stamp collecting" I thought immediately that it is because of the proliferation of new means of communication and lesser use of the postal mails around the world.. How about coin collecting?.. please post your ideas as it may help us find the answer.. thanks..
Back to top Go down
ericgo

PostSubject: Re: Questions and Answers   Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:11 pm

in my personal opinion, i think that the hobby here is declining simply because most of the people connected to the hobby do not treat it as a hobby but as a way to make a living.

There are only a few people left who collect for fun wherein the majority "collect" coins for monetary gain
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Questions and Answers   Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:42 pm

Parang komiks na rin ang coin collecting ngayon...napapaglipasan na ng panahon. Ang dami-dami nang mga ibang hobby na pwedeng gawin ng mga tao ngayon. Saka masyadong magastos ang hobby natin na 'to.

Nagtataka nga ako kung bakit walang nagpro-promote ng hobby natin na 'to. Subukan kaya nating maglagay ng ad sa newspaper para maraming makaalam na mga tao na meron club para sa mga coin collector. Or pwede rin tayong magpa-imprenta ng calendar na meron mga pictures ng mga lumang coins...tapos ay ipamigay natin ng libre...targetin natin na bigyan ay mga school para malagay nila sa bulletin board nila, at saka sa mga computer shop para maraming mga kabataan ang makakita.

Back to top Go down
al.plata

PostSubject: Questions and Answers   Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:57 pm

One of the contributing factor in the decline of Coin Collecting Hobby is the use of non-precious metals in the coins being minted and circulated nowadays. In our country, this started in the late Fifties, when Brass, Bronze, Cupro-Nickels, Lead-Iron and even Aluminum were used. It was good that for a while the government issued commemorative silver and gold coins but on limited numbers only. And now, I can not remember when was the last issuance.. 1998? The (Aquino) government should issue a commemorative coin yearly (Sana lang)...
Back to top Go down
lizjensen001

PostSubject: Re: Questions and Answers   Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:05 pm

One big factor why this hobby is declining is because of the condition of our economy... all prices are getting higher and higher... so someone who used to collect will now think practically, "will i use this money to buy an addition to my collection? or do i use this to pay for the bills?"
Back to top Go down
Market! Market!

PostSubject: Re: Questions and Answers   Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:35 pm

Q: Do we have a book for the complete set of Philippine coins? If not, what would be the best book you can recommend and where can we buy them?

Edit: Banknotes as well.
Back to top Go down
richardthebrave

PostSubject: Re: Questions and Answers   Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:56 pm

al.plata wrote:
For all readers... Why do you think that the Coin Collecting Hobby is declining?
When I read an item re "decline of stamp collecting" I thought immediately that it is because of the proliferation of new means of communication and lesser use of the postal mails around the world.. How about coin collecting?.. please post your ideas as it may help us find the answer.. thanks..

it is declining because yung mismong central bank natin do not release commemorative coins anymore that are valuable in terms of the materials used. i mean when was the last time do we remember that the govt had a gold or silver coin produced for sale? we need central bank support and encouragement through their issuance of new precious metal coins too because most of our past coins were made of those materials.

accompanying it is that the central bank should release commemoratives REGULARLY. maybe on a quarterly or twice a year basis. perhaps even issue a lot, say they issue individual ones commemorating small achievements. then kapag big things like Independence Day, they will issue a large set. some variation.

my views on coins are they are not just a hobby but also an investment. they are both and inseparable. study
Back to top Go down
al.plata

PostSubject: questions and answer   Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:11 pm

it is so correct that this hobby is both for satisfaction and investment ..
if you wan a good reference, then krause catalog of world coins will be good enough.. it is available in cd form.. try to contact this site administrator as my copy came from him.. km reference numbers came from krause-mishler...
Back to top Go down
Market! Market!

PostSubject: Re: Questions and Answers   Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:36 am

Question: After auctions, will you be able to buy unsold items? Will it be much cheaper? What's the process?
Back to top Go down
richardthebrave

PostSubject: Re: Questions and Answers   Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:50 am

Market! Market! wrote:
Question: After auctions, will you be able to buy unsold items? Will it be much cheaper? What's the process?

bro just approach the auction table and ask who owns which item. you can buy it from the sellers directly after the auction in case an item you like has not been sold king
Back to top Go down
edbsbc78

PostSubject: QUESTION: How Good are Coins as an Investment?   Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:47 am

I guess this question can be answered by facts, especially from long time collectors w/ regard How Much a certain coin has Appreciated in value.

Though, i am relatively new in coin collecting, I bought a USPI 1904 at a coin shop in the old Robinsons Galleria back in 2003(?) for about Ps 200-250.
2011 value of this coin is generally about Ps 1,200, that is a 380% appreciation in value in about 15 years.

Hope some of you can share your " Investment Successes"

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
richardthebrave

PostSubject: Re: Questions and Answers   Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:40 pm

hmm i use to buy an entire assorted set of 1944-45 coins for 80PHP-100PHP per 1 PESO na mabubuo.

now the retail price for it is 500-550PHP per PESO, buying is only 10% lower. afro

technically that's a 500% percent appreciation ng pricing. I've cashed out some of them since i needed to pay out some necessary expenses but i still kept some for future growth cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Questions and Answers   Today at 10:14 pm

Back to top Go down

Questions and Answers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1